Essential oils are the aromatic compounds extracted from plants. Inside many plants—hidden in roots, seeds, flowers, bark—are concentrated, highly potent chemical compounds. These natural compounds are essential oils. The oils capture the plant’s scent and flavor, or “essence.” Unique aromatic structures give each essential oil its characteristic essence.
Essential oils are obtained through distillation or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing. Once the essential oil has been extracted, they are can be used with a carrier oils or without a carrier oil (called “neat”).
The way the oils are grown and produced is important. Not all essential oils are the same. There are high quality brands out there that provide health benefits, but there are many synthetically made essential oils that are only made to smell nice and do not provide any health benefits. If you are looking for health benefits by using essential oils it is important to purchase a brand that is 100% pure – and that can show everything from the growing process to the lab results to prove it is indeed 100% pure essential oil.
Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils can be used in aromatherapy, a kind of complementary medicine that uses smell to improve your health, used topically applied to the skin, and 100% pure essential oils that have supplement facts on the bottle are ones that are safe to take internally.
Studies have shown that essential oils may help:
- Boost mood
- Improve job performance through reduced stress and increased attentiveness
- Improve sleep
- Kill bacteria, funguses and viruses
- Reduce anxiety and pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Reduce nausea
- Relieve headaches
Which Essential Oils Are Best?
There are dozens of essential oils, all with different fragrances and chemical makeups. Which essential oils are best depends on what symptoms you're looking to ease or fragrances you prefer. Some of the most popular essential oils include:
- Lavender oil: Many people find the lavender scent relaxing. It's often used to help relieve stress and anxiety and promote good sleep.
- Tea tree oil: Also called melaleuca, this essential oil was used by Australia's aboriginal people for wound healing. Today, it's commonly used for acne, athlete's foot and insect bites.
- Peppermint oil: There's some evidence peppermint essential oil helps relieve irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms when taken in an enteric-coated capsule (from a trusted health supplement provider). It may also relieve tension headaches when applied topically.
- Lemon oil: Many people find the citrusy scent of lemon oil a mood booster. It's also often used in homemade cleaning products.
To support you in your essential oil journey there are many popular essential oil supplies that are popular. Diffusers and diffuser jewelry are an effective way to enjoy the aromatic benefit of your oils, roller bottles are extremely helpful to dilute your essential oils with a carrier oil so you can easily roll them onto your favorite pulse points or areas of concern. To purchase high quality essential oil supplies check out our wide selection at HolisticOils.com. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to have you shop small with us as we support your in your essential oil journey.